The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist: 8 Key Lessons that the Novel offers

The Alchemist is a best-selling novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho. He has written numerous other books including The Pilgrimage and The Eleven Minutes. However, The Alchemist is what he is widely acknowledged for. First published in around 1988 in Portuguese, it has been widely translated into so many other languages for good. The author has himself opened up about the novel and that it was his journey to self-discovery which he has fictionalized in the book. The book aesthetically amalgamates the lines of mysticism, fiction, adventure, and self-discovery, inspiring millions across generations.

The novel is a story of a young Andalusian Shepherd who wants to be rich. He meets a King who tells him that he will find a treasure near the Pyramids of Egypt. Therefore, he starts the journey by selling all of his sheep. He meets different characters and challenges along the way. Ultimately, he ends up finding a more valuable and far different treasure than what he had hoped in the beginning. We have brought 8 of the most valuable lessons this novel provides. 

Here are the Eight Lessons by The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

1. Do not get intimidated by what’s to come

The author says that fear is a far bigger problem than any problem itself. Quoting directly Paulo Coelho here, “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.” So set yourself free from all the worries and embrace the change in whatever form it may come. 

2. Don’t be the prisoner of Routine

Routine work is for those people who have failed to recognize the beauty this universe has to offer. They don’t travel, embrace the change, or find something new something good each day. The author states that we all need to practice gratitude, and gratitude is the act of finding the good in each day. 

3. Focus only on your ‘Present’

The past brings sorrow and grief. People who live in past always find themselves in the whirlpool of what could have been done or what ifs. While people who are too focused on the future remain anxious about what is to come. However, if you only live in the present, you’d be happy and content. Therefore, live in the moment. Past cannot be changed and you have not seen the future. 

4. Your Actions have a ripple effect

The Alchemist suggests a unique concept here. It says that whatever action we produce has a ripple effect on everyone associated with us. If we act right and be successful, people around us will have the same effect on them. Conversely, if we bog down in the crime, it also would have an impact on our loved ones. So, always strive to become a better version of yourself. 

5. Dare to make a decision

The author suggests that decision-making is one of the most important traits in the pursuit of your dreams. Whenever you make any decision, you allow yourself to dive into a strong current that would carry you to places you have never seen before. Napoleon Hill also emphasized decision-making in his magnum opus Think and Grow Rich

6. Keep doing it until it’s Done

If life pushes you down nine times, get up for the tenth because it could be your breakthrough moment. Persistence is the key if you want to get what you want because only a handful of lucky people get their goal in the first attempt. You may not be lucky but make sure you’re persistent so that nobody could snatch what’s rightfully yours. 

7. Don’t follow the usual path

Almost all the self-help books follow this regime of following the unusual path if you are sure about it. Don’t follow a certain path just because the majority is opting for it. Be different. Great achievements only happen when you remove the word ‘impossible’ from your mind. Robin Sharma even goes on to write that to be among the top 5%, you need to do what the other 95% aren’t willing to do i.e. embrace the limitless possibilities. 

8. Don’t emulate someone else’s life as yours

We often get so influenced by others that we end up living their life and their dream subconsciously. If you do this, your life would be miserable. It’s ok to learn from other people and take into account their life lessons, but make sure that those lessons align with your original intent and goals. 


The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a masterpiece work done by the author. As the matter of fact, no blog or article could take the readers through the magical journey of self-discovery like the author did. Therefore, it is highly recommended to read the book itself. However, this blog has highlighted the eight key lessons that the novel has to offer. 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *